One of the biggest destroyers of moving forward and enjoying your life is worrying about your future and being paralyzed by the what if cycle! Life can be confusing. It can be scary sometimes! We all want to experience joy and happiness in our lives. We all long to find our purpose and meaning. Worrying abut those things is common. Anyone who says they never worry at all is either truly fortunate or not quite telling the truth! For the rest of us, here are a few steps to ending the worry cycle. Read on if you want to see how to stop worrying about the futures and enjoy life today.
How to Stop the Worry Cycle
- Stay in the moment. Right now is the only time we are guaranteed. Try these mindfulness practices and be consistent.
- Breathe. Just stop and breathe. When those anxious feelings come upon you, cloys your eyes and picture yourself in your calm place. For me it is the beach. For you it may be the mountains, your childhood home, or maybe your bed. it’s different for each person.
- Listen to the sounds around you in your mind. Smell the aromas. Touch the things you love in your imagined surrounding. Create the perfect peaceful atmosphere that makes you feel calm and happy.
- Focus on that scene and take a slow deep belly breath.
- Purse your lips tightly and exhale through that tiny opening for up to 30 seconds.
- Relax and repeat 3 times.
- Practice this often. I have been able to get to the point of taking myself to my 2 favorite beaches at any moment. I have created severaldiffernet scenarios. Sometimes I am alone. Other times only my family is present with me. Mostof the time I include happy families with little children making joyful sounds. If I am in the middle of a stressful situation, I take all parties involved with me to the beach and all of my tensions melt away. They have no idea that we have taken a little vacation!
Mistakes Can Cause Anxiety
Anytime I forget that I have no control of the future or past, anxiety can creep in. It’s a mistake to worry about what might happen later today. I can’t fix the past by worrying. All I can do is take steps to do the right thing going forward, forgive the past, and enjoy the present moment. I am learning to avoid some of mistakes that can cause anxiety. Practicing gratitude is a great way to battle anxiety.
Counting my blessings is the best way to start each day. When I wake up I smile, then thank God for 4 blessings in my life. That usually leads to time spent with Him through His word and prayer. Try spending time with God each morning and holding on to worry and anxiety. We can cast all of our cares on Him. He loves us, and has. plan for our future!
Try these simple techniques and see if helps you when learning how to stop worrying about the futures and enjoy life today.